IPhone App: What means Attacker Budget ?

bernd.lentes

13 Jul, 2017 05:17 PM

Hi,
I installed Maspertpassword because i like the idea of not storing any hashes of my passwords. I''m using the IPhone App and the Java implementation on several windows pc's. Until now i like it and appreciate the comfort of not remembering my passwords anymore.
But the point "Attacker Budget" in the settings from the IPhone App makes me a bit nervous. The text talks about a "database of SHA-1 hashes" and "breaking your site password". What does that mean ? Are the site passwords stored in hashes on the device, contrary to the principle of Masterpassword ? I would be very disapointed and stop using the app.
Hope for clarification.
Bernd

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maarten Billemo... on 13 Jul, 2017 05:45 PM

Not at all, Bernd.

The attacker budget message in the iPhone app is there to give you an estimation of the password's strength.

The assumption here is that if the website of your account got hacked and a passwords database based on SHA-1 hashes was leaked within the hacker community or publicly; then a person would be able to try and hack your account's password for that site. In this event, it's important that you use complex passwords to protect yourself. Master Password offers several types of passwords, each with varying complexity.

If the meter says "9 months", and the budget is set to Regular, then an attack of a private individual on your password based on a password database leak of your site would require the individual to run a dedicated exhaustive search with his full hardware capacity on your password, 24/7, for 9 months, before he'd be able to unscrable your password from it.

2. 2 Posted by bernd.lentes on 13 Jul, 2017 06:01 PM

Good to hear. Thanks.
    Bernd

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

15 Nov, 2017 01:51 AM
21 Oct, 2017 05:17 PM
18 Oct, 2017 08:29 PM