Compiling v2.6-cli-1-0-g895df537 on Debian: a mini HOWTO

debiantriage

07 Sep, 2017 06:26 PM

Wherever possible I avoid compiling a program, especillay if it has any complexity. Reasons?

• I misunderstand the compilation instructions.
  • Errors are reported by the compilation process.
  • I misinterpret the reported errors or cannot interpret them at all.
  • Frustration sets in. I give up and stick with the .deb package, if there is one..

For mpw, peruse the README. It's pretty good and should get you going with a little bit bit of thought. After all, you really do want mpw on your system, don't you?

For those who want step-by-step instructions for stretch and buster (that includes me), here they are. All the commands are executed in a terminal. The installation of packages is done with root priviledges but all other steps and the the actual compilation can (and should be) done as a user. Ubuntu and Mint users should also find success with the procedure below. The Master Password version used was v2.6-cli-1-0-g895df537.

You will now have an mpw binary file in the mpw directory. This will work splendidly with ~/mpw/mpw but, if you want it on the system, run ./install and put it in /usr/local/bin.

The compilation process for me was very satisfying. No errors; just a warning:

brian@test:~/mpw$ ./build
Current mpw source version 2.6-cli-1-0-g895df637...

Building target: mpw...
Enabled mpw_sodium (libsodium).
Enabled mpw_color (libcurses).
Enabled mpw_json (libjson-c).
cli/mpw-cli-util.c: In function ‘mpw_askpass’:
cli/mpw-cli-util.c:74:9: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘waitpid’; did you mean ‘getpid’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
     if (waitpid( pid, &status, 0 ) == ERR) {
         ^~~~~~~
         getpid
done!  You can now run ./mpw-cli-tests, ./install or use ./mpw

Wishing everyone safe passwords with mpw,

Brian.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

15 Nov, 2017 01:51 AM
21 Oct, 2017 05:17 PM
18 Oct, 2017 08:29 PM